Accessibility View Close toolbar
  • Blog >
  • Think Your Pet Ingested Poison?
RSS Feed

Think Your Pet Ingested Poison?

Signs of Ingested Pet Poisoning With Katy Area Veterinary Medical Group

Cats and dogs are notorious for trying to eat anything and everything in their way, and that's been the subject of many jokes. But in reality, that tendency to chow down on whatever looks good has gotten pets into a lot of trouble. Poisoning is very common in cats and dogs, and the incidents can be serious, requiring immediate vet attention. Here some tips from Katy Area Veterinary Medical Group that will help protect your pet.

Which Poisons Lurk Near Your Pets?

Food and medications are among the top poisons that your pets have to deal with. Chocolate, onions, garlic, anything containing xylitol, and many other foods can send your pets to an animal hospital for monitoring, if not more. Xylitol, in particular, is very toxic to dogs, and with the sweetener now appearing in usually dog-friendly foods like peanut butter, you need to be very careful what you have in the house. Medications like flea and tick medicines can also set off reactions, mainly if the pet eats the product (though the application can also induce allergic reactions in some pets, too). 

What Are The Signs?

Poisoning symptoms are straightforward. Your pet may drool, have a wobbly walk, be lethargic, vomit, have diarrhea, become incontinent, and be either very lethargic or suddenly have a high pulse rate and be agitated.

Contact The Katy Area Veterinary Medical Group In Katy, TX

If you see any of these symptoms, contact a veterinarian in Katy immediately. The Katy Area Veterinary Medical Group wants to see and help any pets that have started showing signs of poisoning. Contact us at (281) 398-1551 to arrange to see a veterinarian as soon as possible.