Pet Exams From Our Veterinarians in Katy TX
At Katy Area Veterinary Medical Group, our veterinarians in Katy TX provide compassionate, skilled care to your pets. Our veterinary team also believes that prevention is the best medicine, which is why we highly recommend that you bring your pet in at least once a year for a comprehensive health and wellness exam. In our office, pet exams are among the most common services we provide. If it's been more than a year since your pet's last exam or if your pet has begun to show signs of a medical problem, it's time to schedule an appointment today.
The Importance of Routine Pet Exams
So, why are regular pet exams so important, anyway? For starters, even if your pet is not showing any obvious signs of a problem, a comprehensive exam may be able to uncover early warning signs of medical conditions, diseases, and illness. By diagnosing these issues early on, our veterinary team also has a better chance of being able to treat or manage the issue successfully, allowing your pet to lead the healthiest life possible.
In addition to staying on top of changes in your pet's health, a routine wellness exam also gives you the opportunity as a pet owner to bring up any questions or concerns you may have about your pet's health. And if everything goes well at your pet's exam, you'll get to enjoy the peace of mind in knowing your pet is in good health.
What to Expect From Your Pet's Exam
If it's been awhile since your pet's last exam or if this will be your pet's first exam with us, you may be wondering what to expect. We'll always begin by taking the time to review your pet's medical history and give you an opportunity to bring up any questions or concerns with our veterinarian and/or veterinary technician.
From there, we'll move onto your pet's physical exam, which will include a thorough evaluation of different parts of your pet's body, including:
- ears - we'll check inside the ears for signs of infection, such as tenderness and swelling, discharge, or redness. We'll also be on the lookout for signs of ear mites, which are common in younger pets.
- eyes - we'll evaluate your pet's eyes to ensure there are no signs of disease or underlying condition (such as conjunctivitis). Some symptoms may include redness, tearing, and discharge.
- mouth/teeth - your pet's oral health is also very important; overlooking this aspect of your pet's health could lead to painful gum disease, abscesses, and lost teeth. We'll make sure your pet's gums look pink and healthy and check for signs of dental problems.
- skin and coat - assessing the condition of your pet's skin and coat involves checking for signs of fleas and ticks, dehydration, rashes, and other conditions that need to be addressed.
- lungs - we'll carefully listen to your pet's breathing to check lung function, being specifically o the lookout for abnormal wheezing or other noises.
- heart - our veterinarian will also listen to your pet's heart to check for signs of abnormal heart rate or rhythm.
- rectal - checking around the base of the tail for signs of parasites, fecal mass, problems with anal glands, and similar conditions is also a key part of your pet's exam.
Other Services to Consider During Your Pet's Exam
In addition to your pet's wellness exam, this appointment is also a good time to talk to our vet about making sure your pet is up-to-date on all recommended vaccinations and getting your pet on a flea, tick, and parasite prevention medication (if he or she is not on one already). Furthermore, if we discover any possible problems during your pet's exam that require further investigation, we may recommend follow-up appointments for diagnostic testing such as X-rays, ultrasound, radiography, and/or blood testing. These can all be performed in our office and will help us to make an accurate diagnosis.
Of course, we'll always take the time to carefully explain any tests or procedures needed and why they're important to your pet's health. We're also happy to answer any questions or address any specific concerns you may have. Ultimately, our goal is to help your pet lead the healthiest life possible.
Schedule an Exam With Our Katy Veterinarians
If your pet is due for an exam with our Katy veterinarians, why not give us a call to schedule it today? You can reach our team at (281) 398-1551 to book an exam or find out more about the services we have to offer here at Katy Area Veterinary Medical Group.